... so, here's what's been going on in the world, and what I make of it:
- Tom Tancredo is yet again proving that he's an ass, not fit for public consumption, and definitely not ready for prime time
. Today, Rep. Tancredo said "If it is up to me, we are going to explain that an attack on this homeland of that nature would be followed by an attack on the holy sites in Mecca and Medina." He seems to think he can't think of anything better to deter terrorism. My question is, if he's going to go down the route of extreme warfare directed at people's religions (as opposed to, you know, specific, actual terrorists-- the people causing the problem, because let's be honest, there are a lot of Muslims who aren't part of the problem at all), mightn't he as well just go ahead and say he'll deal with Islamofascism by killing all Muslims? It seems like the ideas aren't that far apart-- and Lord knows, if we bombed Mecca and Medina, probably even more Muslims would want to kill Westerners, so to deal with the problem of Islamofascism after an event like that, an inconceivably heavy-handed approach like the other one I mentioned might just turn out to be about the only effective one. Of course, I'm not advocating that. But then I'm the one saying that Tancredo's idea is totally effing crazy, anyway.
- a dKos story from today seriously contains the phrase "the national security experts at the ACLU"
. I'm not going to get into a debate about whether the ACLU is a worthy institution on any level. But I will say it's not a "national security" institution, staffed by "national security experts."
- Kos is also touting these results as somehow good for the poor Louisiana Democrat stuck with the job of trying to beat Bobby Jindal to the Governor's mansion this year
:Jindal (R) 52
Boasso (D) 21
Campbell (D) 6
Georges (R) 1
It seems that the liberals are proving that education in this country-- particularly in the realm of maths and science-- really is pretty pathetic. But, hey, I used to live in a country where something like 60% of 16 year-olds believed that Conan The Barbarian was a real historical figure.
- the Kossacks also think that some Democrat, who looks awfully good at raising money, might have a chance at beating John Shadegg.
Somehow, I doubt that. Oh, and look, they've also screwed up where numbers are concerned again-- they've said Gabby Giffords represents AZ-05. She doesn't. She represents AZ-08. God, liberals sure do suck at numbers.
- I thought we only did Catholic vs. Protestant in Northern Ireland and Glasgow. Apparently, we do that in Iowa, too. It still sucks. And I say that as no fan of Sam Brownback.
- it is totally weirding me out that Dick Durbin is talking to the right-wing blogosphere.
What the hell?
- the NRCC seems to be getting involved in the MD-1 primary.
I sure hope they don't get involved in the NC-3 one
. I don't agree with all of Gilchrest's votes. But I really can't deal with Walter B. Jones-- so I'm very much hoping the NRCC will stay out of his race, and let Joe McLaughlin defeat him, without party institution interference.